Back from Vietnam
A New Partner
Day One (2004)
The Big C
Day One (2007)
The Last Ship
Daisy and the Desperado
Property of the State
- Heat Death, appears in Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine
In 1970 just before he ships out to Vietnam, Skin has his first real encounter with crime. It’s his origin story, but without radioactive spiders or toxic waste.
- Day One (early events)
Set both during Skin’s days as a homicide detective and in the period after he retires, Skin finds himself entangled in a crime with roots going back years. Ruby Jane and Susan Mulvaney are part of the tale.
- Lost Dog
While the focus of this story is Peter McKrall and his developing relationship with Ruby Jane Whittaker, Detective Skin Kadash makes his first appearance as in print one of two detectives investigating the series of murders in which Peter has become implicated.
- Bladder cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Chasing Smoke
Skin Kadash’s first solo outing, with appearances by Ruby Jane Whittaker as well as his partner, Detective Susan Mulvaney.
- Cancer in remission
- The Missus (standalone short story featuring both Skin and Joey Getchie)
Skin investigates the death of a woman at the hands of her foster son.
- Retires from the Portland Police Bureau
October 31, 2007
- Sunlight Nocturne, appears in Deadly Treats
Skin spends the day with his neighbor and her little boy as police pursue home invaders in a dramatic citywide chase.
- Day One (later events)
- The Last Ship, appears in West Coast Crime Wave
Skin travels to the Oregon Coast to recover from the events of Day One and finds himself embroiled in strange local doings.
- County Line
Skin seeks out the missing Ruby Jane, whose disappearance is tied to events which transpired twenty years previously. Peter McKrall returns to help in the search.
- Coffee, Black, appears in Portland Noir
Now retired, Skin investigates vandalism at a Portland coffee shop with the help of Ruby Jane, and finds more than he bargained for.
- Daisy and the Desperado, appears in Murder at the Beach: Bouchercon Anthology
A comic tale of Skin Kadash’s investigation into the whacky goings-on at the house of a co-worker’s grandmother.
- Property of the State (unnamed cameo)